Early Childhood Educator
Job Title: Early Childhood Educator
Direct Report: Director of Childcare Centre
Status: Full Time Permanent (40 hours per week)
Rate of Pay: $TBD
How to Apply: Please send your resume and cover letter to Jenni montgomery (email@example.com)
Nature & Scope
Our Early Childhood Educators offer fun, nurturing programs for children 18 months to 12 years of age. They are responsible for developing and delivering age appropriate, quality programs that support the healthy growth and development of children, in a safe and supervised environment. They are responsible for direct supervision of children during the specified hours of operation of the centre. The YMCA currently has an opening for a full time permanent Early Childhood Educator at our Childcare Centre.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Supports the healthy growth and development of children that promotes a lifelong appreciation for learning.
- Ensures positive, professional communication with families on an ongoing basis, and responds promptly to all requests, queries and concerns.
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with other YMCA staff.
- Delivers quality age-appropriate programs that are reflective of the varied interests of the group following the YMCA Playing to Learn Curriculum.
- Uses a variety of teaching techniques including modeling, observing, questioning, demonstrating, responding and reinforcing.
- Collaborates with other YMCA staff members and volunteers to support effective team work with both long and short range activities in accordance with curriculum objectives, developmentally appropriate practice and program philosophy.
- Prepares and leads play, reading, music and quiet-time activities which encourage social interaction between children.
- Prepares and posts weekly documentations and program plans.
- Arranges early learning environment in accordance to program goals and philosophy.
- Meets the emotional, social, physical, and cognitive needs of each child.
- Participates in professional development including staff meetings, workshops and training.
- Completes delegated tasks, administration tasks and all other duties as assigned.
- Prepares and/or serves breakfast, lunch, and snacks; cleans up after meals.
- Provides care for young children including changing diapers, feeding, and comforting.
- Supervises room(s) for children of various ages during rest periods.
- Uses guidance and discipline strategies that are consistent with the philosophy of the YMCA of Moose Jaw and Province of Saskatchewan Childcare Regulations.These include but are not limited to redirecting, positive language, and positive reinforcement.
- Provides input for assessment of children’s development.
- Records and maintains appropriate records of accidents, injuries, behaviours, and development.
- Maintains confidentiality in relation to parents, other staff members and information related to the YMCA.
- Adheres to the YMCA Child Protection policies and procedures.
- Ensures compliance with YMCA policies and procedures.
- Leadership: Motivates and inspires self and others to take action to achieve desired outcomes.
- Creativity and Innovation: Develops new ways or adapts existing ideas to help us achieve desired results.
- Flexibility and Adaptability: Able to work quickly and efficiently despite ambiguity, adjusts to children’s needs, responds to unforeseen opportunities and issues with confidence, integrates new information as it becomes available.
- Self-Management: Works independently within prescribed parameters, can discern the relevance of issues and communicate effectively to the Childcare Director.
- Initiative: Has the ability to be self-directed and complete tasks without being asked. Can direct and engage children when scheduled programming or activities encounter unforeseen circumstances that affect the outcome.
- Communication Skills: The candidate will be required to communicate with children, parents and other staff in a professional and welcoming manner. They will have the ability to speak to and instruct groups of children in a manner that engages their participation and plan activities that are based on the children's interests.
- Organizational Skills: The candidate will be required to plan and deliver a variety of programs.
- Time Management: The candidate must be able to multi-task efficiently manage time and duties.
- Concern for health and safety: Acknowledges and understands how to manage and educate others of risk and harm reduction.
- Commitment to Vision and Values: Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and an appreciation for the mission, vision, values and strategic outcomes.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Early Childhood Education is considered an asset
- Valid First Aid Training & CPR Level C
- Successful candidates will be required to provide a current and satisfactory Criminal Reference Check/Vulnerable Sector Search issued no later than 6 month preceding your start date.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience working with children